COLUMBUS — Red, White and Boom! 2017 takes place on Monday, July 3. Please see below for information on closures and restrictions as well as tips for getting to and from the celebration easily and safely.
Red, White and Boom Travel Tips:
- Arrive as early as possible on Monday, preferably before 5 p.m. (the parade starts at 6 p.m.). This can help you beat the congestion and find a good spot for viewing. Entertainment and events begin at noon.
- Check the closed streets list carefully and plan to arrive well before scheduled closures. A large number of streets close Friday at 6 p.m. Those attending events at COSI or Nationwide Arena, especially, need to plan on arriving before 6 p.m.
- Carpool or take COTA. To reduce parking problems and congestion, share a ride to the Boom! COTA riders will have free access to an outstanding view of the fireworks from inside Huntington Park. COTA will deploy a large number of additional buses to provide frequent service to and from several Park and Rides located around Franklin County as well as extended service on many routes serving downtown. COTA staff will be available to provide assistance downtown and at the Park and Rides. COTA riders: When you leave for the celebration, your driver will be available to tell you the best place to catch your bus to get back. Check COTA’s Red, White and Boom! Website or call (614) 228-1776 for more details.
- Don’t leave immediately after the fireworks. Entertainment, including live music is available after the fireworks. COTA buses leave for Park and Rides as late as midnight.
- Be alert for pedestrians and cyclists. Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to wear bright or reflective colors for increased visibility.
- A note for pedestrians from the Columbus Division of Police: At the end of the evening, pedestrians need to stay on the sidewalks and cross streets at crosswalks. In the past, some pedestrians leaving the event have walked in the middle of open streets, blocking car, bus and emergency vehicle travel. This is illegal and unsafe.
- Watch carefully where you park. Various parking restrictions will be in place to help with the flow of traffic before, during and after the event.
Red, White & BOOM! Street Closures and Lane Restrictions:
Thursday, June 29, at 9 a.m. through Tuesday, July 4, at 10 a.m.
- Washington Boulevard will be closed between W. Broad Street and W. Town Street
Friday, June 30, at 9 a.m. through Tuesday, July 4, at 10 a.m.
- S. Civic Center Drive will be closed, between West Broad Street and West Main Street
Friday, June 30, at 9 a.m. through Tuesday, July 4, at 6 a.m.
- W.Spring Street will be closed between Neil Avenue and Marconi Blvd.
- one lane of West Spring Street will open for rush hour only on Monday, July 3, between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. only
- W. Long Street will be closed between Hocking Street and Marconi Boulevard
- one lane of West Long Street will open for rush hour only on Monday, July 3, between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. only
Sunday, July 2, at 5 p.m. through Tuesday, July 4 at 6 a.m.
- Marconi Boulevard will be closed between W. Long Street and W. Broad Street
Monday, July 3, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. (for parade and parade staging)
- W. Main Street will be closed between 2nd Street and the Scioto River
- W. Rich Street will be closed between the Scioto River and McDowell Street
- Starling Street will be closed between W. Rich Street and W. Town Street
- Belle Street will be closed between W. Rich Street and W. Town Street
- Lucas Street will be closed between W. Rich Street and W. Town Street
- Civic Center Drive will be closed between W. Mound Street and W. Main Street
- Monday, July 3, from 5:50 p.m. until about 7:30 p.m. (for parade)
- Lynn Street between North Front Street and N. High Street
- W. Main Street between the Scioto River and S. High Street
- W. Gay Street between N. Front Street and N. High Street
- W. Long Street between Marconi Boulevard and N. High Street
- W. Spring Street between Marconi Boulevard and N. High Street
- W. Lafayette Street between N. Front Street and N. High Street
- W. Nationwide Boulevard between N. Ludlow Street and N. High Street
- W. Spring Street between N. High Street and Neil Avenue
- W. Hickory Street between N. Front Street and Marconi Boulevard
- W. Rich Street between S. High Street and S. Civic Center Drive
- W. Town Street/W. Rich St. between Belle Street and S. High Street
- Front Street between W. Main Street and W. Spring Street
- W. State Street between S. High Street and S. Front Street
- W. Rich Street/W. Main St. between McDowell Street and the Scioto River
Monday, July 3 from 6 p.m. through midnight
All streets inside the boundaries of the streets below will be closed:
- North: Spring Street- (including Spring Street)
- South: Mound Street
- West: McDowell Street
- East: 3rd Street
On-street parking for those with disability placards is available at the following locations:
- W. Gay Street between N. High Street and N. Front Street
- W. Mound Street between 2nd Street and S. Civic Center Drive (north side)
Adjustments may be made to planned closures based on traffic or crowd size.
Please remember to be alert for pedestrians and bicyclists traveling to and from Red, White & Boom! festivities. Bicyclists riding after sunset are required by law to have operational headlights, taillights and reflectors on their bikes.