A Senator from Ohio is calling on the Food and Drug Administration to ban the retail sales of powdered pure caffeine powder nationwide.
Attention turned to the product after 18-year-old Logan Stiner, a high school senior from LaGrange, Ohio died after ingesting too much of the powder.
In an interview on NBC4 Today, Senator Sherrod Brown said there is no use for the product in a retail setting.
“There’s just no reason for it to be sold. It’s fine to be sold for industrial use, for companies that measure and do it right and put a tiny tiny bit into an energy drink. But, if it’s sold in powdered form like that in stores and in nutrition supplement stores, it just doesn’t make sense. There’s no public use for it,” Brown said.
According to the FDA, a single teaspoon of pure caffeine is roughly equivalent to the amount in 25 cups of coffee.
Governor Kasich signed a law banning the retail sales of powdered caffeine in Ohio in June.