Fire Chief: Fire may have been started by cat

(WDTN)

HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WDTN) – Two dogs are dead and one is in a veterinarian’s care Thursday morning after a house fire in Harrison Township near Dayton.

It happened just before 10:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 1900 block of Ontario Avenue.

Firefighters say when they were called to the scene, they found the residents of the home trying to get back inside to save their pets.

Mark Lynch, Harrison Township’s Fire Chief said although he understands that pets are like family members, it’s not worth the risk.

“You should never try to go back into a fire unless you’re protected with all the gear we have,” he said. “That’s why why have it. Luckily no one got hurt.”

Two of the dogs died. A third was taken to an emergency veterinarian.

The home sustained about $15,000 in damage, primarily in the kitchen-area of the home.

Chief Lynch tells 2 NEWS the fire may have been caused when the family cat jumped onto a gas stove, possibly turning on one of the burners. The family told fire fighters the cat had been jumping on the stove lately.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s