COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — Relatives of Jack Morris drifted by throughout the day Wednesday to look at what’s left of his house on Lock Avenue and marvel that anyone got out alive.
Morris, 69, and his 3-year-old great granddaughter JessLyn, were pulled from the rubble Tuesday morning after the house exploded around them.
“The Lord’s got a plan for them – especially for Uncle Jack,” nephew Ron Morris said. “He’s been through a lot. He didn’t need this.”
JessLyn is hospitalized with burns on her face. Daniel Wheeler is her grandfather.
“No broken bones. Nothing,” Wheeler said. “She’ll get out and be a pretty little thing again. We’re just glad she’s alive.”
The preliminary finding is that it was an accidental gas explosion the result of a gas leak within the house.
Ron Morris says he’s smelled natural gas around the house in recent months but always outside.
“I’ve told Jack I smelled gas outside. He’s like, ‘I don’t smell it’ and I said ‘I’m telling you I’ve walked all the way around the house and I’ve smelled gas’ and I’ve told him that.”
Columbia Gas says its gas line up to the meter of the house tested safe Tuesday after the blast. The utility says no one in the neighborhood has reported an oder of gas over the past several weeks.
Jack Morris, who suffered second and third degree burns to his arms and face, was released from the hospital. JessLyn Morris remained at Nationwide Children’s Hospital Wednesday.
The Columbus Fire Department says the final report on the investigation into the explosion is expected to be completed on Monday.