Fire department rules house explosion an accident, says home owner caused a gas leak

The ruined home on Lock Avenue.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — A home explosion on Lock Avenue that left two people injured was an accident, the Columbus Fire Department says.

Tracy Smith, battalion chief with the Columbus Fire Department, said the explosion was “an accidental natural gas explosion that was the result of a gas leak which occurred after the home owner disconnected the stove and changed the gas shutoff valve.”

Columbia Gas also released a statement saying the explosion was likely caused by alterations made outside of the company’s purview.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s