Chicago officer who shot black teen 16 times pleads not guilty to murder charges

Jason Van Dyke
FILE - In this Nov. 30, 2015, file photo, Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke leaves the Cook County Jail after posting bond in Chicago. The Friday, Dec. 18, 2015, hearing in a Cook County criminal court follows Van Dyke's indictment by a grand jury earlier this week. He faces six counts of first-degree murder and one of official misconduct in 17-year-old Laquan McDonald's death. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast, File)

CHICAGO, ILL (AP) — A white Chicago police officer charged with murder in the 2014 fatal shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald pleaded not guilty Tuesday in a Chicago court.

Jason Van Dyke faces six counts of first-degree murder and one of official misconduct in the 17-year-old’s death.

He appeared in front of Judge Vincent Gaughan in Cook County Criminal Court and was dressed in a dark suit and blue striped tie. The next hearing is set for Jan. 29.

Van Dyke’s defense attorney, Dan Herbert, said his client “hanging in there” and wants to tell his side of the story so that he’s not seen “as this cold-blooded killer.” Herbert also said that they haven’t ruled out asking for a change of venue.

Cook County attorneys were not available for comment after the arraignment.

Public outcry has been furious since a dashcam video was released last month showing the veteran officer shooting McDonald 16 times. The teenager, armed with a knife, was veering away from officers when Van Dyke opened fire.

The footage sparked days of street demonstrations, the forced resignation of Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy and a broad federal civil rights investigation of the police department’s practices and how allegations of officer misconduct are handled.

Over the weekend, Chicago Police shot and killed two other people, a 55-year-old woman who was shot accidentally and a 19-year-old man whom police have said was “combative” before he was shot. The department will not say how many officers fired their weapons or what the two people were doing before they were shot.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who has been the target of heavy criticism and calls for resignation since the McDonald video was released last month, is due to return Tuesday afternoon from a family vacation in Cuba.

Herbert also said that policy changes in the Chicago Police Department, which Emanuel’s office has hinted at and may include more education, would be beneficial.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s