Family warns of button battery danger after 2-year-old’s tragic death


JAY, Okla. (WFLA/AP)– An Oklahoma family is warning about the dangers of button batteries after a 2-year-old girl swallowed one and then died.

The Oklahoman reports Brianna Florer died on Christmas weekend.

CREDIT: Wikipedia
CREDIT: Wikipedia

Kent Vice, her grandfather, says she hadn’t been feeling well for a couple days and was throwing up and had a fever. She was taken to a hospital after she began throwing up blood.

Vice says his granddaughter went into surgery, but doctors couldn’t stop the bleeding.

The family learned that Brianna likely swallowed the battery within six days of her death. Her family is heartbroken.

“Brianna was the joy and light of our World, she brought happiness to everyone she met. Brianna will be missed beyond measure,” said her obituary in the GrandLakeNews.

The family has a GoFundMe account to warn others about the dangers of button batteries and to help pay for the girl’s funeral and other expenses.

“The family doesn’t want this tragedy with Brianna to happen to any other child or family. Please be sure to share her story with all your friends and loved ones so that they will take precautions with their childrens toys, remotes, hearing aides, and so many other things that now use these “button batteries”. They or myself had any idea of how deadly such a small thing could be,” wrote Renee Blevins Hale on the GoFundMe page. Her funeral was held on Jan. 2.

As of Monday, Jan. 4, more than $9,000 had been donated from people around the world.

A spokesperson for the Oklahoma State Medical Examiner’s Office said the 2 year old’s autopsy is pending.

Brianna had two older sisters and an older brother.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s