AUSTRALIA (WCMH)– The grass called “hairy panic” has engulfed a rural Australian town.
According to CNN, Wangaratta has been taken over by the tumbleweed, and returns just as fast as the residents get rid of it.
“The grass is around most years,” a spokesperson for Rural City of Wangaratta told CNN. “But conditions are ideal for it at present because we had quite a wet January.”
It does contain a toxin that can be deadly to sheep and if eaten in large quantities, can cause a condition called “yellow big head”.
But for the residents of the town, the grass is just a pain. “It is frustrating,” one resident said. “You know you’ve got a couple of hours of work ahead of you.”
The outbreak of the grass is being blamed on a nearby unmaintained paddock.