Lawnmower stunt goes horribly wrong


Warning: The above video contains content that may be disturbing to some viewers

(WXIA) A Georgia man has lost his leg after shooting a lawnmower packed with an explosive known as Tannerite.

“We get a lot of calls about Tannerite. It can be extremely dangerous if it is not used correctly,” says Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman.

Chapman released video of the explosion that cost David Pressley his leg as a warning to others.

Tannerite is the brand name of a combination of ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder. When mixed and shot with a high-velocity bullet, it creates a loud noise and explosion.

The manufacturer recommends using no more than half a pound at one time. But demonstrations using up to 100 pounds at one time have become popular internet videos.

Tannerite is legal (though not intended to be used in this way). No charges will be filed.

Read more: provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s