Son of former NFL player Ray Lewis arrested for sexual assault

Ray Lewis III (Image Source: J Reuben Long Detention Center via WBTW)

CONWAY, SC (WBTW) – A Coastal Carolina football player has been arrested for the sexual assault of an 18-year-old female, and is accused of assaulting another woman during the same incident, but has not been charged in that accusation.

According to a press release from Conway City Police, Ray Anthony Lewis III, 20, turned himself into police Friday morning and was charged with criminal sexual conduct, 3rd degree.

According to arrest warrant, Lewis sexually assaulted the 18-year-old while she was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.The arrest comes after two women, 18 and 19-years-old, were treated at a local hospital on January 23rd for sexual assault. The incident is reported to have happened across from CCU’s campus at an apartment on Technology Boulevard.

Charges have not been filed in the accusation made by the second woman, who claims to have been sexually assaulted by Lewis during the same time period as the first victim.

Lewis’ legal team, attorney Tommy Brittain out of Myrtle Beach, and attorney Ed Garland out of Atlanta, GA, released a statement regarding Lewis’ arrest:

Ray Lewis III is innocent of all charges and we expect him to be vindicated in this matter.”

Lewis is currently listed on the Coastal Carolina University 2016 football spring roster as a cornerback. His player bio states he transferred from the University of Miami after playing for two seasons. Lewis is the son of former NFL player Ray Lewis who played for the Baltimore Ravens.

News13 has reached out to CCU concerning Lewis’ current status with the football team as well as his status as a student at the school. Associate Vice President of the Office of University Communication Martha Hunn released the below statement on behalf of the university:

Statement from Coastal Carolina University regarding the arrest of Ray Lewis III:

Once CCU became aware of an incident, the University immediately began facilitating the administrative investigation, which includes requests to Conway Police Department for the police report and other information pertaining to this case. The University obtained the arrest warrant today.

Immediately upon arrest, Ray Lewis III was suspended indefinitely from the football team. The University continues its administrative investigation process.

Lewis was booked into the J Reuben Long Detention Center at 9:56 a.m. Friday and was released within 90 minutes on a $10,000 bond, according to online booking records.

What others are clicking on: provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s