SANDUSKY, OH (WCMH) – The wait is almost over. Valravn, Cedar Point’s latest record breaking ride opens to the public Saturday morning.
The coaster features a 223-foot-tall hill, a 214 foot 90 degree drop, a 165-foot-tall Immelmann and a 131-foot-tall second hill. Before the 90 degree drop, riders are suspended while looking straight down for four seconds.
Valravn is 3,415 feet long, includes three inversions and reaches a top speed of 75mph.
Valravn Media Day
Valravn Media Day x
Cedar Point is claiming to break 10 world records when the coaster officially opens on Saturday.
- Tallest dive coaster (223 feet)
- Fastest dive coaster (75 mph)
- Longest dive coaster (3,415 feet)
- Most inversions on a dive coaster (three)
- Longest drop on a dive coaster (214 feet)
- Highest inversion on a dive coaster (165 feet)
- Most roller coasters taller than 200 feet at one amusement park (5)
- Most rides at one amusement park (71)
- Most steel roller coaster track at one amusement park (52,125 feet/9.9 miles)
- Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,110 feet/11.4 miles)
PHOTOS: Valravn preview
PHOTOS: Valravn preview x
Construction began shortly after the ride was announced in September 2015. Valravn was ‘topped off’ when the highest part of the track was placed on December 22.
The last piece of track was installed on March 3.
This time lapse video posted to Youtube shows an aerial view of the entire construction process.
Crews continued testing the coaster and building the theming elements all through March and April.
Cedar Point officially opens for the season on Saturday, May 7 at 10am. The park will be open Saturday and Sunday, and close again until the following Friday. Beginning on May 13, the park will be open seven days a week through the summer.
Join NBC4 on Wednesday morning at 5am as Monica Day is among the first to go for a spin on the new ride.
Can’t wait for opening day? Cedar Point is offering a limited number of tickets for the LeBron James Family Foundation First Rider Benefit on May 5.
Tickets are $75 with front row tickets going for $500. All proceeds benefit the LeBron James Family Foundation.
The only ride open during the benefit will be Valravn.
Valravn is Cedar Point’s 18th roller coaster and the fifth to top 200 feet.
The other coasters taller than 200 feet are:
- Magnum XL-200 (205 feet tall)
- Wicked Twister215 feet tall)
- Millennium Force (310 feet tall)
- Top Thrill Dragster (420 feet tall)
Cedar Point is now the only amusement park in the world with five roller coasters over 200 feet tall.
What others are clicking on: