ALBANY, N.Y. (WTEN) – Electronic smoking devices are becoming popular with millennials and some say it’s a healthier alternative to smoking. But one New York man is sharing his story about kicking the habit after a vaporizer he was using exploded.
Kenneth Barbero says one of the devices he had in his mouth exploded without warning, knocking him to the ground.
“Like a M80 bomb went off in my mouth,” Barbero said. “When I hit the button, I saw a huge yellow light. The next thing I know, I’m on the floor and my arms are paralyzed.”
According to Barbero’s mother, the vaporizer’s battery exploded.
Barbero is now recovering at the hospital with burned hands, knocked out teeth, and his tongue split because of the blow back. He is showing his injuries so people know what could happen.
The vape shop in Albany, NY says although there’s no warning on batteries, they try to educate everyone who walks through the doors.
Barbero says he doesn’t plan on returning to his hobby. “Look at my story and really think about the next time they hit the vape.”
What others are clicking on: