OAKLAND PARK, FL (AP) – Authorities say a 2-year-old girl has died after being found with her head tangled in blinds inside an Oakland Park, Florida home.
NBC Miami reports the incident happened Wednesday afternoon. Broward Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Gina Carter says deputies were called to the residence just before 12:30 p.m., where they found the child unresponsive.
Carter says the girl was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Authorities are investigating the incident, which Carter says does not appear suspicious. It wasn’t immediately clear how the child became injured by the blinds.
United States Consumer Product Safety Commission spokesman Scott Wolfson says a child dies nearly once a month nationwide after strangulation in the cords of blinds.
The Parents for Window Blind Safety group keeps tracks of deaths and injuries from window blind cords. They report 592 children have been killed or injured in these accidents since 1995, 36 in Florida.
The Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA) encourages parents and caregivers to check window coverings for exposed or dangling cords. The group recommends replacing them with cordless window covering products or those with inaccessible cords.
NBC Miami contributed to this report.