NEW YORK (MEDIA GENERAL) – Whether you’re going to a Memorial day BBQ or just hanging out with friends cooling off in the AC, there’s no reason to break the bank buying expensive wine. Here’s a list of some of the best summer wines under $20:
- Casal Garcia Vinho Verde: It’s slightly carbonated, which makes it almost like drinking a wine spritzer — except better, because it’s not a wine spritzer.
- Twin Vines Vinho Verde: For less than $8 a bottle, you can’t get much better than this Portuguese blend. Plus, the bottle is pretty, so you can bring it to summer parties without everyone judging you for showing up with two buck chuck.
- 2011 Lapostolle Casa Sauvignon Blanc: It’s light and crisp — the two things you need in your wine when you’re sitting in the sun and sweating out all the booze.
- Bella Ambiance Pinot Grigio: I randomly picked up a bottle when I was on vacation because the bottle looked pretty and girly. Turns out, it’s actually really good! I mean not really good, but it’s only $9. So you can buy two bottles and by the time you’re done, it won’t matter what it tasted like!
- Cantina Zaccagnini il vino ‘dal tralcetto’ Pinot Grigio IGT, Abruzzo, Italy: It’s the biggest splurge on the list at $16, but it’s also probably the only one on the list that even your wine snobby friends will enjoy. The bottle’s design has a pretentious elegance about it that makes it the perfect gift for your friend with the Hampton’s house or whatever the equivalent to a Hampton’s house is in your neck of the woods.
- Twin Island Sauvignon Blanc: The best Savignon Blanc’s are always from New Zealand. I don’t actually have any kind of proof or legit knowledge to back up that statement, but it sounds right and I’m pretty sure I heard some wine-savvy person say that once. Probably.
- Kavaklidere 2013 Lâl Rosé: I’m Turkish, and if there is one thing I can say about our wine, it’s this: Turks make a fine Rose. We may not make the best red or white wine, but our Rose game is strong.
- Alverdi Pinot Grigio: I asked my friend who owns a wine bar what her favorite cheap-ish white wine was and she said it was this one. Enough said.
What others are clicking on: