REDWOOD CITY, CA (WCMH) — A California man pleaded not guilty to 17 counts of lewd acts with a child after he was accused of molesting his daughter’s young friends during sleepovers in 2011 and 2012.
Daniel Miranda, 69, is also accused of molesting a neighbor in 2002 and 2003, according to San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office.
In total, an investigation by the sheriff’s office concluded Miranda had molested five girls since 1999, and they suspect many more to come forward, KRON-TV reports.
A young friend of Miranda’s daughter first alerted police to the possible crime. She claimed she had been molested during sleepovers at his home.
According to prosecutors, the sheriff’s office could not find “enough” evidence to charge him and the case languished until June 2016, when a second victim came forward. The second victim said she also was molested during sleepovers at Miranda’s house.
Investigators later found three more victims, including a former resident on Miranda’s property who said she had been molested in 2002 and 2003.
Prosecutors filed charges for three of the victims, but the statute of limitations to file charges already passed for two other possible victims.
Miranda was booked into jail on a $6.4 million bail. He’s pleaded not guilty to 17 counts of child molestation.
Miranda is scheduled to return to court on September 13.
This article originally appeared on KRON-TV.
What others are clicking on: