COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Tonight’s International Champions Cup soccer match promises to bring a large crowd to Ohio Stadium, and with a large crowd comes traffic issues. Add in a Demi Lovato concert and the opening day of the Ohio State Fair, and it only gets worse.
Joseph Kerlin helps navigate traffic at OSU games all of the time and it gets really hectic, but today is throwing students and staff at the university for a curve ball.
“It’s a student lot and students think they can park here like they would on a normal day and they can’t.” Said Kerlin.
With so many people in one place, a lot of them from out of town, the city of Columbus is helping the Ohio state university with managing the traffic flow.
The City of Columbus is implementing several traffic restrictions, both before and after the game.
- The on-ramp to SR 315 North from Olentangy River Road (in front of Lennox Town Center) will be closed at approximately 1:30 p.m.
- The SR 315 North off-ramp to the OSU Medical Center/12th Avenue will be closed later by Columbus police in mid-afternoon. Police will allow access for emergency vehicles.
- Lane restrictions on SR 315 North and South will occur in order to be able to close the off ramps at Lane Avenue on an as needed basis.
- The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office and OSU Police are expected to close Woody Hayes Drive to establish the bus pattern out to West Campus.
- There will be lane restrictions on Kenny Road to accommodate the bus patterns.
- Turn movements on Lane Avenue from Neil Avenue to Olentangy River Road will be restricted.
- Lane restrictions on Ackerman Road will be put in place to help direct traffic to West Campus, and to help in-flow into the parking lots around the Schottenstein Center.
- The SR 315 North off-ramp to Lane Avenue will be closed.
- The SR 315 South off-ramp to Kinnear Road will be closed.
- The SR 315 North exit to OSU Medical Center will be closed. Police will allow access for emergency vehicles.
- The Woody Hayes Drive Pre-Game pattern will remain in effect for buses.
- Westbound traffic on Ackerman Road at Olentangy River Road will be prohibited.
- Eastbound traffic on Lane Avenue at SR 315 and Ackerman Road at SR 315 will be prohibited.
If you’re heading to the game, you’ll need to park. The RV lot at the stadium opens at 8am. VIP permit lots will open at noon, except for the east stadium and Tuttle garage lots.
All other day of game lots open at 3pm. A shuttle will be available from west campus lots starting then.