Brain-eating amoeba found in Grand Teton water

MOOSE, WY (KCWY) After a brain-eating amoeba was detected in Grand Tetons National Park in Wyoming, people have been steering clear of the water.

The amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, can destroy brain tissue and lead to death.

“Naegleria fowleri, if it gets into the nasal passages, can cause primary amoebic meningitis, which can be fatal,” Sue Consolo-Murphy, Chief of Science and Resource Management, says.

United States Geological Survey researchers have also found the amoeba in streams and pools near to Kelly Warm Spring and in Huckleberry Hot Springs and Polecat Springs in the John D. Rockefeller Parkway between Grand Teton National Park, and Yellowstone National Park. Wading or swimming is not allowed in those springs.

“There’s no one in here today swimming in the water, but it’s not uncommon to come out here and see people wading, swimming, splashing around,” said Consolo-Murphy.

 

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s