Prosecutor: Ex-mayor accused of raping 4-year-old claimed victim was ‘willing participant’

Richard Keenan, 65
Richard Keenan, 65

WARREN, OH (WCMH/AP) —- A prosecutor’s court filing says a former Ohio mayor told his wife and others that he’d sexually abused a young child.

Richard Keenan, 65, was indicted last month on eight counts of rape and 12 counts of attempted rape that carry potential life sentences because of the victim’s age.

He pleaded not guilty at a hearing Aug. 18 and was freed on $75,000 bond. The judge ordered that he not have any contact with children.

The indictment said the abuse occurred in 2013 and 2014. Monday’s court filing said Keenan admitted assaulting the child beginning when the child was 4 years old.

Court documents filed by the assistant prosecutor and obtained by the Youngstown Vindicator show Keenan allegedly blamed the victim for initiating the acts and said she was a “willing participant.”

Keenan served as mayor of Hubbard, a city near Youngstown, in 2010 and 2011. He was not in office during the time of the alleged crimes, WKBN-TV reports.

Keenan’s attorney didn’t respond to a request for comment. His trial is scheduled to begin April 24, 2017.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s