Neighbors save North Wayne Avenue man from a house fire

waynefire

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Calling them angels for saving his life, a Hilltop man said  his neighbor’s quick thinking got him up and out of his burning home.

Just before dawn a home in the 100 block of North Wayne Avenue had smoke and flames shooting out of the downstairs windows, and Salem Graham said he was still able to get out. Graham said that is thanks to two neighbors who woke him up.

“Two neighbors beat on my door and thank God for them because the smoke detectors didn’t go off until after they knocked, so I don’t think I would be here if they had not beat on my door,” Graham said.

One of those two neighbors who alerted Graham is Keith Brown. “There was smoke coming out of the front door and his dog ran out of the door, so I hopped the fence and told him to get out of there, then went to the neighbor’s house and called 911,” Brown said.

Columbus fire investigators think the fire started in a middle room on the first floor, but a cause has yet to be determined. Graham said the house could be damaged beyond repair.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s