POWELL, OH (WCMH) – The Ohio Wildlife Center says they have seen an influx of baby squirrels, and they are in need of acorns and nuts.
The wildlife center says the easiest way to help is to collect acorns and nuts from your own yard. They say they also need large plastic Rubbermaid tubs to store the nuts.
They are looking for cleaned, dried and local acorns, walnuts and hickory nuts.
Acorns: The wildlife center will take cleaned, bagged, quality acorns. To prepare:
- Collect acorns and separate from twigs, leaves, and other debris.
- Cover them in a container of water for five minutes. Throw away the ones that float.
- Remove acorns from water and dry with a towel, or allow to air dry.
- When fully dry, place acorns in a one-gallon Ziploc-type baggie and freeze.
- Keep frozen until you can deliver them to us at the Education Center or Wildlife Hospital.
NOTE: Acorn quality quickly deteriorates, molds and rots if collected and left in buckets/bags where they get wet or hot.
Black Walnuts: The wildlife center can take husked walnuts only.
- Collect black walnuts.
- Soak nuts in container of water for up to one week until the green or brown husk loosens and can be removed by hand.
- An alternative method is to fill a wheelbarrow full of walnuts with water. Let soak, and every few days, jiggle the wheelbarrow back and forth to agitate the husks off. Use multiple changes of water.
- Spread the husked nuts on a flat surface and allow them to fully dry in sun for a few days. Then deliver to the Wildlife Center of Virginia.
NOTE: Black Walnuts do not need to be frozen prior to delivery.
Hickories: The wildlife center will take clean hickory nuts.
- Collect hickories and separate from twigs, leaves, and other debris.
- Deliver to the Wildlife Center
NOTE: Hickory quality quickly deteriorates, molds and rots if collected and left in buckets/bags where they get wet or hot. Hickories do not need to be frozen prior to delivery.
Bring the acorns and nuts to either Ohio Wildlife Center locations during normal business hours:
6131 Cook Road
Powell, OH 43065
2661 Billingsley Road
Columbus, OH 43235