Fart blamed for fire that seriously burned woman during surgery

generic-hospital-sign-resized

TOKYO, Japan (WCMH) – A patient passing gas during surgery may have sparked a fire that caused her serious burns.

The Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported that the fire happened on April 15 at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital.

A patient was undergoing an operation that involved using a laser on her cervix, the paper reported.

A report released by the hospital indicated no other flammable materials were in the room during the surgery.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s