MEMPHIS, TN (WCMH) — Two deputies in Tennessee put their own lives at risk when they helped rescue four people in a burning home including a paralyzed man.
According to WMC, the two deputies refused to leave the paralyzed man’s side while the home burnt, until he was able to get out safely.
“We weren’t going to just stand outside and let him stay inside that house while it was burning,” said Shelby County Sheriff’s Deputy Daniel Wilson.
A caretaker called 911 after a small grease fire quickly spread throughout the house. The four people were caught inside, including three who were disabled.
The caretaker and two others were able to make it out safely, but one paralyzed man was trapped in the back of the house.
“Me and Officer Davis we were trying and trying, we weren’t able to lift him so we stayed with him inside the house until the fire department came,” Wilson told WMC.
The man pleaded with the deputies to leave, but they refused until firefighters arrived with tools to save the man.
“I am not a hero, OK. I am just doing my job, and I am glad that everybody was safe,” Deputy Crystal Davis said.
No serious injuries were reported, but all the people inside the home, including the deputies, were treated for smoke inhalation.