Toddler dies after choking on popcorn kernel

HANOVER COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Mirranda Grace Lawson, the 2-year-old Hanover County girl who had been on life support since she choked on a popcorn kernel in May, has died.

VCU Medical Center confirmed that she died on November 1.

VCU Medical Center and the young girl’s family have been involved in a legal battle for months. The family did not want doctors to perform a brain apnea test, which would have determined if the two-year-old was brain dead, in fear that it would harm her.

Monday afternoon, the hospital released the following statement regarding her death:

We extend our deepest sympathies to the Lawson family as they grieve Mirranda Grace’s death. During the several months Mirranda was at our hospital, we saw the Lawson’s enduring love and support of their daughter in dealing with the tragedy. Mirranda’s medical team demonstrated the highest-levels of quality and compassionate care for her and her family. Our thoughts and best hopes remain with the Lawsons. — VCU Medical Center

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s