Ten people hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at nursing facility

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — Ten people are in the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at a skilled nursing center on the city’s east side.

It happened around 5:10pm Tuesday at Bryden Place. According to Columbus Fire Chief Steve Martin, carbon monoxide detectors showed “extremely high levels” of the deadly gas in the building.

Emergency crews shut the gas and electric off from the building, and residents were moved either to the northern section of the building or outdoors. Martin said that ten people were taken to OSU Wexner Medical Center and Grant Medical Center to be treated for a “mild case of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Residents were able to go back into the building by 11pm Tuesday, but a cause was never determined. Officials believe it was somewhere in the southern part of the building.

Bryden Place is a skilled nursing facility that houses more than 140 people.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s