Off-duty firefighter saves 30 people after noticing carbon monoxide leak

LEWISVILLE, NC (WCMH) – An off-duty firefighter is credited with saving dozens of lives after realizing that something was wrong at a North Carolina restaurant.

Forsyth County EMS tells local media that about 30 people who visited the restaurant Saturday night experienced headaches, nausea and vomiting. Fourteen people were taken to the hospital, and the rest were treated and released from the scene.

Lewisville Fire Department Assistant Chief Steve Williams says the gas started leaking because of a malfunction in the restaurant’s heating system.

Williams says Lonnie Wimmer, an off-duty firefighter who happened to be at the restaurant noticed that people were becoming ill, so he called the fire department.

Fire officials at the scene confirmed the level of carbon monoxide was six times the normal amount.

Stephanie Miner and some friends were in the restaurant.

“What is happening to me? Did I get infected by that much? What’s going to happen,'” Miner told WFMY-TV. “It was not fun!”

“I’m just glad it’s over and we are all standing here. Physically standing here,” said Miner. “That’s good!”

Jenna Edwards with the River Ridge Taproom says they called their heating technician and the problem was fixed that night.

“We deeply regret what happened! I feel sorry for everybody that was back here,” said Edwards. “My biggest concern was for the children that were back here.”

Firefighters say the gas is no longer leaking and there is no threat to the restaurant.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas so none who worked at the restaurant knew what was happening.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s