Two-alarm fire sparked by burning Christmas tree

WESTERVILLE, Ohio (WCMH) – A two-alarm fire that destroyed a Westerville apartment building was caused by a resident burning a Christmas tree in the fireplace, according to firefighters.

According to the lead investigator of the case, the person was disposing of a Christmas tree by cutting the small branches off the tree and placing them in the fireplace.

Heat from the fireplace flue radiated to the apartment walls in the unit above until reaching an ignition point.

The building on Buffalo Run at the Remington Station Apartments was so badly damaged, investigators could not determine if there were any issued with the flue being damaged or improperly installed.

The fire smoke and water damage displaced 10 families with 19 adults and 15 kids. The Red Cross said it is helping more than 30 people with immediate needs such as food, shelter and medication.

The building is estimated to be a $2 million loss, not including anything inside.

The apartment complex said it’s working to move the displaced residents into other vacant units.

When firefighters got to the apartments, they called for extra help, “knowing that this is a wooden building and we have a lot of high winds today,” Columbus Fire Battalion Chief Steve Martin said.

Firefighters from five agencies, including Columbus and Westerville, eventually managed to knock down the fire, despite issues with the water in the hydrants.

No injuries were reported, but the building was destroyed as the fire spread through the attics and ripped through much of the roof.

Ron Moreno, who lives in the building next door, said Thursday he felt sorry for the families who lost everything so soon after the holidays, although he said burning a Christmas tree in a fireplace was not a good idea.

“It wasn’t a very smart thing to do, obviously,” Moreno said. “Pine trees, they got a lot of sap in them—they’ll take off like that, especially when they’re dry, so it’s not something that you should be doing. Not the proper way to get rid of your tree. It’s terrible what happened because of it, it seems.”

Several tenants told NBC4 they were required to have renters insurance as part of their lease.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s