One killed after tanker truck bursts into flames on I-270 and US 33

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — A person died after a tanker truck crashed and burst into flames on the US 33 and I-270 interchange in northwest Columbus Monday morning.

Dublin Police tell NBC4’s Ted Hart the tanker driver died in the crash. Police say they are in the process of trying to identify him.

Traffic cameras showed large amounts of smoke and fire on the roadway just before 11:00am Monday.

All lanes of US 33 west are now open at I-270. Both directions of I-270 are also open.

Dublin police and fire remain on scene.

ODOT bridge engineers will have to inspect the new flyover bridge for damage before reopening the ramp to traffic. “We are looking at damage to the actual deck, but not significant. The roadway, 270 underneath, is passable. We are looking at repairing the damage within a week,” said Jack Marchbanks ODOT Deputy Director for District 6.

The top of the bridge where we actually had the fire, we lost a bit of concrete,” said ODOT Chief Engineer Jim Barna. “Not enough where the steel is exposed, but enough where we have to shut the bridge and do emergency repairs.”

Crews with ODOT expect the ramp from 33E to 270N will remain closed for the next 4-7 days.

Up close, passing motorists pulled out cell phones and captured the scene even before firefighters arrived.

Doug and Carla Rose of Delaware said the heat from the flames was intense. “I just couldn’t believe how huge it was and the fact that we were close enough to feel the heat coming off it was surreal,” Carla Rose said.

“We had the windows up in the car and you could feel the heat coming through the windows of the car,” Doug Rose told NBC4 “It was unbelievable.”

Dublin police Lt. Steve Farmer said the gasoline tanker had a capacity of 8,000 gallons but he didn’t know how much the tanker was carrying.

Farmer said it’s not clear yet what caused the accident. “It was turned on its right side and it was make making a left-hand curve so perhaps too much speed – it’s hard telling,” Farmer said.

Washington Township Fire Chief Alec O’Connell said firefighters had a limited water supply but they did initially try to get to the tanker. “They initially thought the best idea was to put a hose stream in place through a ladder truck and see if there was any rescue possible but the amount of heat and amount of fire they had, that wasn’t possible,” O’Connell said.

Keep checking for real-time updates on this story. To get alerts for breaking news, grab the free NBC4 News App for iPhone or Android. You can also sign up for email alerts. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s