Man accused of killing Kirkersville Police Chief and two others had history of domestic violence

(Licking County Sheriff's Office)

KIRKERSVILLE, OH (WCMH) — The man accused of killing Kirkersville Police Chief Eric Disario and two nursing home employees has been identified.

Family members identified 43-year-old Thomas Hartless as the shooter.

READ MORE: Gunman kills Kirkersville police chief, two nursing home workers

His cousin, who did not want to go on camera, told NBC4’s Shawn Lanier that Hartless did not live in Kirkersville. His girlfriend worked at the nursing home where the shooting happened and was identified as one of the victims.

Video from Chopper 4 shows investigators searching a home on the 300 block of Oakland Avenue in Utica, Ohio. The home was listed as Hartless’ address in recent police reports and court documents.

Connie Long lives across the street from Hartless’ parents’ home, where he often stayed in Utica.

Back in March, she said she helped rescue his girlfriend, Marlina Medrano, after he had brutally beaten her.

“She ran for our door and he drove in the yard. He accelerated, almost ran her over clear in our yard,” said Long. “She was bleeding from her head and face, shaking terribly, difficulty breathing.”

Long is medic and was able to treat her injuries, inside of her home.

“I said that day if we had not been home, I really felt he would’ve killed her on the porch that day, just kind of got prolonged I guess,” said Long.

According to court documents, Hartless was sentenced on March 23rd to 90 days in jail for the attack. He was released on April 11th.

“I knew once they let him out, revenge would be on his mind,” said Long

She said she made several calls and even put out a plea on Facebook, warning people of how dangerous Hartless was.

“I called and I called and I called and it was like I had no voice, so now that we have a police officer dead and these other innocent people dead, maybe someone will listen,”  said Long.

Hartless has been accused of killing Medrano and two others, including a police chief at a nursing home on Friday.

“Sad day, but also frustrating because it could’ve been prevented and that’s the part that’s really hard to swallow,” said Long. “The judicial system, I don’t know where the break is, but there’s definitely something that needs addressed.”

In 2010, Hartless was sentenced to 15 months in prison after pleading guilty to charges of aggravated assault and aggravated menacing. He originally faced kidnapping and felonious assault charges in those cases.

After serving eight months in prison, Hartless was granted a judicial release and placed on community control for three years. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s