Dublin teen dies after being shocked by electrical current in Put-In-Bay

Put-In-Bay in August 2016 (WCMH photo)

PUT-IN-BAY, OH (WCMH) — A teenager died Friday after being shocked by an electrical current from his family’s boat in Put-In-Bay.

According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, 19-year-old Evan Currie of Dublin was near his family boat around 6:30pm at Miller Marina when the incident occurred. The Curries had parked their 33′ Sea Ray Sundancer and plugged in the shore power.

The family dog reportedly fell into the water and began to struggle. Father Jeffrey Currie jumped into the water to save the dog and also began struggling. Evan Currie and his brother then entered the water to help.

The mother stayed on the boat as bystanders told her to unplug the shore power.

Everyone got back into the boat after the cord was unplugged, but Evan was unresponsive and convulsing. He was transported back to the mainland.

The ODNR is currently investigating the incident along with Put-In-Bay police and the Ottowa County Sheriff’s Office.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s