Child starts fire after lighting firework inside Cincinnati apartment home

CINCINNATI, OH (AP) — Police say a 9-year-old boy lit a firework and started a fire in an apartment building in Ohio.

WCPO reports the boy ignited the firework in the fourth-floor of a Cincinnati apartment building Saturday.

Cincinnati Fire Department District Chief Craig Coburn says the boy got scared after lighting the firework and he got onto a bed, causing it to catch fire.

The boy was hospitalized after the fire, but has since been released. It is unclear if the fire caused any property damage.

The boy’s family has not responded to requests for comment.

Fire officials say they usually see an increase in burn injuries around Independence Day.

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s