Girl recovers after firework explosion

AURORA, CO (KUSA) — Hailey Sexson was celebrating the four of July with her family last year when a faulty firework exploded near her last year.

The 9-year-old received second and third-degree burns on her arm and neck and even had some shrapnel in her eye. Hailey was treated at the Children’s Hospital Colorado Burn Center in Aurora for physical pain and more.

Brad Jackson, a psychologist at the Burn Center, said his role in Hailey’s treatment is to help with her anxiety from the accident and to build her confidence when it comes to talking about it.

“People always ask what happened,” said Sexson.

Both she and her mom said the lasting effects of the celebration are the reason why they are speaking of it now.

Jackson said it’s important to keep kids a safe distance from fireworks. But also said make sure kids are wearing shoes because many times they get burned on their feet, as well as their hands and face. And after the celebrations make sure any spare fireworks are out of reach.

READ MORE: http://on9news.tv/2tJaVFz

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s