WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE, OH (WCMH) — A chlorine leak at the water treatment facility in Washington Court House on Friday morning resulted in first responders telling nearby residents and schools to stay inside until the situation was contained.
One city employee was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons but has no serious injuries.
The leak began around 9 a.m. and ended around 11 a.m. Another brief leak occurred just before noon but city officials told NBC4 the tank was low and not as dangerous as the first. They believe a faulty valve is to blame for the leaks.
“You wanted to make sure that you weren’t dealing with the bigger situation than you initially thought,” says city manager Joe Denen of the decision to urge residents to stay inside.
As of late Friday afternoon, there were no known injuries as a result of the chlorine leak.