Doomsday prepper sends all of his food to Puerto Rico

Joseph Badame of Medford, N.J., helps during a food truck fundraiser for the people of Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria at Anthony Barber and Victoria Martinez-Barber's home, Friday, Sept. 29, 2017, in Medford, N.J. Badame, a survivalist who has lots of stored food and supplies, is teaming up with the couple that runs a food truck and has organized days of fund-raising this week for the storm-stricken residents of the island. (Elizabeth Robertson/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP)

MEDFORD, NJ (AP) — A New Jersey man who spent decades preparing his home for doomsday is donating all of his stored food to families affected by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

Joseph Badame lost his wife and was in the process of losing his Medford home when the 74-year-old met a couple raising money for their family affected by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

Joseph Badame of Medford, N.J., helps during a food truck fundraiser for the people of Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria at Anthony Barber and Victoria Martinez-Barber’s home, Friday, Sept. 29, 2017, in Medford, N.J. Badame, a survivalist who has lots of stored food and supplies, is teaming up with the couple that runs a food truck and has organized days of fund-raising this week for the storm-stricken residents of the island. (Elizabeth Robertson/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP)

Badame made a $100 donation, and then led the couple to the room where he stored all of his food and told them to take it all.

“I just can’t put into words just how much food there was,” Victoria Martinez-Barber, 30, told the Washington Post . “It was enough to feed a town.”

Badame had gathered 80 barrels of food that each could sustain 84 people for four months. He said the food, which included dried beans, rice, flour, sugar, pancake mixes and more, would have been thrown away otherwise.

“I’ve lost everything. My wife, my house, everything,” he told NJ.com . “The last thing I was going to lose is the food.”

Badame started preparing for the worst with his wife Phyliss in the 1970s. The two equipped their basement with multiple kitchens and bathrooms, a bomb shelter and survival books. He estimated they spent close to a million dollars on the project.

Their prepping was put on hold after Phyliss suffered a massive stroke in 2005 that left her paralyzed.

Badame quit his job, took out a half-million loan on his house and spent his time caring for his wife. By the time his wife died in 2013, he was broke.

The bank foreclosed on his property, and it was at the estate sale last month where Badame met Martinez-Barber and her husband, Anthony Barber.

Badame said meeting the two gave him a new purpose in life.

“Phyliss and I prepared all this for one group of people and it turns out it’s going to help another group of people,” he said. “That’s wonderful.”

NBC4i.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s